No Excuse to Suffer Through Workplace Sexual Harassment

You need to stand up for your rights if you are being subjected to workplace discrimination and/or sexual harassment. There is a possibility that you are not alone, but there needs to be a trailblazer who will stand up for themselves and shed light on unacceptable workplace behavior.

How to Take Legal Action

In Florida, an employee alleging workplace harassment must first file an administrative complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR). An investigation will be conducted by the EEOC, or the FCHR. These agencies can impose their own legal remedies, or they provide an employee a written document affording the right to sue for harassing conduct.

Financial Restitution You May Pursue

If you file a sexual harassment lawsuit and prevail, the amount you can get in damages (also known as financial restitution) depends on the harm you suffered as a proximate result of the sexual harassment. Common types of damages include back pay and front pay if, for example, you were terminated because of the harassment or alerting a third party to the harassment. Other types of damages are intended to compensate you for the emotional trauma and stress caused by the harassment. Determining back pay and/or front pay is straightforward since your wages are the foundation for calculating those damages. Pain and suffering is more amorphous and can vary depending on the facts of your case.

Contact an Experienced Fort Lauderdale Sexual Harassment Lawyer for Legal Advice

If you have been the victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, take action today. Speak to an experienced sexual harassment attorney so you can better understand your rights. Contact Mark J. Berkowitz, P.A., a Fort Lauderdale sexual harassment attorney, at (954) 527-0570.