SEXUAL HARASSMENT ATTORNEY Fort Lauderdale
SEXUAL HARASSMENT ATTORNEY
Sexual harassment in the workplace is more common than you think. It is an incredibly important topic that does not get enough attention. As a Fort Lauderdale sexual harassment attorney, Mark J. Berkowitz P.A. is devoted to helping victims of sexual harassment assert their right feel comfortable in the workplace. Learn more about how our firm can help you win your case.
Get an Appointment
A Sexual Harassment Attorney Who Takes You Seriously
Sexual Harassment: What You Need To Know
Sexual harassment is protected against by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Florida Civil Rights Act, both of which consider sexual harassment a form of sex discrimination.
Law constitutes that an action can be considered sexual harassment if a reasonable employee in your similar circumstances would have found the action (or comment) in question to be offensive.
There are, however, limitations on to brining sexual harassment cases to justice. For one, your window to report the harassment is rather narrow: the EEOC requires that you file a complaint within a 300 day time limit from the date that the harassment occurred. The Florida Commission on Human Relations is only slightly more flexible, with a 365 day time limit.
Recognizing Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment is a broad form of discrimination and can involve a wide range of actions and comments. They can be broadly divided into the 3 following categories:
- Directly or implicitly requiring an applicant to perform sexual acts in order to get the job.
- When a harasser makes decisions about the victim’s employment and duties based on their submission or rejection to their sexual advances
- The harasser’s advances and sexual conduct creates a hostile, intimidating, offensive, and/or uncomfortable environment that interferes with the victim’s ability to work there
Other common sexual harassment behaviors:
- Unsolicited discussions, questions, jokes or innuendos about sex
- Sexually suggestive hand gestures or facial expressions
- Unwanted physical contact that is of a sexual nature (such as kissing, hugs, unconsented touching of butt, breast, genitals)
- Tricking victim into going on a surprise “date” under the pretense of it being a work meeting
- Suggestive or explicit texts or emails
- Inappropriate, unsolicited communications after work
- Repeated, suggestive comments about an employee’s looks
These are just a few examples of what sexual harassment can look like. The list could go on and on and on.
You have the right to feel comfortable in your own workspace. Take a stand against the harasser with the help of attorneys who specialize in fighting sexual harassment at Mark J. Berkowitz P.A.
Contact Us Today
Get an expert sexual harassment attorney from Mark J. Berkowitz P.A. and get back the compensation you deserve. Take the first step and call our Fort Lauderdale office to schedule a case consultation!